Quarterly Update – By Bruce Covernton, Big Fish Staffing Owner and President
January 11, 2017 – As we start 2017 it is important to take a moment to reflect on the past year and see how far we have come. We started Big Fish Staffing on April 1, 2016 and have grown so much in the last 9 months. I think with the success we have had, it is important to thank our clients, family, friends, staff and the community for their continued support.
In the last quarter we have expanded our reach and have made employment placements in a variety of industries including labour, entertainment, recreation, oil and gas, housing, finance and not-for-profit. We are excited to see the market starting to shift but we want to reassure our clients that with the infrastructure we have planned, we will be maintaining our industry leading rates and services.
On November 8, we hosted an event in support of the Veteran’s Food Bank and Calgary Poppy Fund. We were overwhelmed with the turnout and support that our community provided for this cause. At the event we raised over $3000 and enough food to fill an SUV in support of the Veterans. Thank you again to all that attended and a special thanks to Heirs Pears for providing the space and coffee!
Some additional highlights of our last 3 months:
- Prior to Christmas, the Big Fish Staffing team had an opportunity to volunteer as a team at the Drop-In & Rehab Centre serving dinner to their clients;
- Big Fish Staffing provided prizes for two separate events in support of United Way;
- Bruce was elected to the Board of Directors for Fresh Start Recovery;
- Bruce is currently assisting to plan the CUPS 25th anniversary breakfast which will be in May. He has also started his 25th year as the longest standing volunteer for CUPS;
- Amanda and Donna attended Mount Royal University’s Human Resources Breakfast at the Petroleum Club;
- Bruce attended the Bob Edwards Gala in support of the Calgary Public Library on November 4;
- The team enjoyed watching a couple of the Stamps games (and of course watching the Stamps win). Next year the Grey Cup will be ours and we are already planning the Grey Cup Party we will host!
2016 was a fantastic year full of goal setting, successes, challenges and community. The Big Fish Staffing team can’t wait to see what 2017 has in store for us! Keep us in mind if you have a staffing need or if you are looking for work!